Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Modal Verbs Functions and Usages

Modal    الفعل
Replaced with
الكلمات التي تحذف
Example مثال
Answer  الحل
Must
Have to               + (V)
Has to
Is necessary to
Is obliged to
Obligation to
It’s necessary for us to get up early.  (must)
He is obliged to wear a suit here.  (have)
It’s obligation that you start early (must)
We must get up early.
He has to wear a suit.
You must start early.
Don’t have to
Needn’t   + (V)
Is Not necessary to     
It isn’t necessary to travel at night
You don’t have to travel at night.
Had to   + (V)
Was necessary
It was necessary for her to take a taxi
She had to take a taxi.
Didn’t have to
Needn’t have + P.P.
Wasn’t necessary
It wasn’t necessary for us to get up early last week.
We didn’t have to get up early last week.
Mustn’t + (V)
Can’t + (V)
Forbidden – prohibited prohibition     banned
Not allowed – illegal -against the law- No ……………… Don’t
It’s not allowed to smoke here.
It’s against the law to park here.
Don’t litter the street. It’s the law.
You mustn’t smoke here.
You mustn’t park here.
You mustn’t litter the street.
Should        + (V)
Ought to    + (V)
It’s advisable
It’s preferable
It’s a good idea
It’s advisable to practise a sport.
It’s a good idea to eat healthy food.
It’s a good idea not to eat fast food.
You should practise a sport.
You should eat healthy food.
You shouldn’t eat fast food.
Can           + (V)
May         + (V)
Is it okay if I
Would it be OK if I
Do you mind if
Is it o if I take your car?
Do you mind if I open the window?
Can I take your car?
May I open the window?
May +  (V)
It’s possible that ………...
Perhaps
It’s possible that he will visit us.
Perhaps he is coming tonight.
He may visit us.
He might be coming tonight.
Can + (V)
 Be allowed to
You are allowed to park here.
You can park here.
Could + (V)
Why don’t you..?
What about..?
Why don’t you go on a day trip?


You could go on a day trip.
Deduction: الاستنتاج
Must be
I’m sure    is
I’m certain     is
I’m sure Ahmed is at home.
الجملة في المضارع المثبت
Ahmed must be at home.
Can’t be
I’m sure    is not
I’m certain     is not
I’m sure Ali isn’t at school.
الجملة في المضارع المنفي
Ali can’t be at school.
Must have + p.p
I’m sure/ certain    was (any past)
I’m sure he broke the car yesterday.
الجملة في الماضي المثبت
He must have broken the car yesterday.
Can’t have =p.p
I’m certain     wasn’t- didn’t
I’m certain he didn’t eat the cake yesterday.
الجملة في الماضي المنفي
He can’t have eaten the cake yesterday.
Should have +p.p
 Expected or supposed
I expected Ali to have come by now.
Ali should have come by now.
May have +p.p
Might have +p.p
Perhaps/ it’s possible/ probable
I’m not sure    I don’t know
It’s possible that he was travelling abroad.
It is probabal he broke the window.
He may have been travelling abroad.
He might have broken the window.


Rewrite the following sentences using the modals in the brackets.
1.            You are obliged to pay your tuition fees when you register with this university. (must)
 …………………………………………………………………………………………………
2.      It is prohibited to play football in the streets. (mustn’t)

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………
3.       I advise you to study hard for the exams. (should)

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………
4.       What about visiting your grandma? (could)

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………
5.       I am certain that he is absent.  (must be
………………………………………………………………………………………………………
1


Rewrite the following sentences using the modals in the brackets.

1.       Now, I can swim in the big ocean. (am able to)

………………………………………………………………………………………………………
2.       It is necessary for Jassim to see a doctor. (must)

 …………………………………………………………………………………………………………
3.        It was wrong of you to talk to Hassan while he was on the phone. (shouldn’t have)
………………………………………………………………………………………………………
4.       It’s prohibited for motorists to go over the speed limit inside the city. (mustn’t)
  ………………………………………………………………………………………………………5.       It’s probable he had been sick for the last two weeks. (might have)
            ………………………………………………………………………………………………………                                

No comments:

Post a Comment