Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Gerund and Infinitive


GROUP 1 : Verbs Followed by a Gerund:                                                                       
Admit, appreciate, avoid, consider, continue, deny, go skiing, imagine, mind, miss, quit, save, suggest, practice, prevent, spend, waste, lose

 love, like, enjoy, prefer, dislike, hate (general preferences)

be busy, it is no use, it is no good, it is worth, what is the use of, can’t help, there’s no point in, can’t stand, have difficulty in, have trouble,

look forward to, be used to, in addition to, object to, prefer, think of

hear, notice, listen to, see, watch, feel










These verbs are followed by Verb + ing


GROUP 2 : Verbs Followed by an Infinitive (to + Verb):  
  
Agree, appear, decide, expect, hope, plan, promise, refuse,

Would like, would prefer, would love (specific preferences)

Happy, sad, glad, eager, willing, reluctant, clever, kind, lucky, fortunate,

Too, enough

It was great to
To tell the truth, to be honest, to sum up, to begin







These verbs are followed by to + Verb

Difference in meanings either a gerund or infinitive: 
اختلاف في المعنى حسب تركيب الجملة 


Forget + to
Not remember
Forget + ing
Not recall لا
Remember + to
Not forget
Remember + ing
Recall
Try + to
Do one’s best
Try + ing
Do something as an experiment
Stop + to
Stop temporally
Stop + ing
Finish doing something
Regret +to
Sorry to
I regret to inform you..
Regret +ing
Feel sorry about
Mean + to
Intend to
Mean + ing
Involve






















GROUP 3: Verbs Followed by a Bare Verb:


Must, can, could, have to, has to, had to, shall, should, may, might,

Let, get, Make, see, hear, feel, had better, would better
Want to know, explain, decide, find out, learn



Bare Verb (Verb without to)

Exercises:


Put the verbs in brackets into the correct form of the infinitive or the -ing form.


1- I suggest going (go) to the gym.
2- If my sister managed ............... (graduate) this year, it would be a dream come true.
3- We made it to the stadium only .................. (find) that the match had been cancelled.
4- My brother enjoys ........................... (play) football with his friends at the weekend.
5- I think James has gone .................... (ski).
6- Will you let me ............................... (come) to the event?
7- I saw James trying ........................ (make) a model plane.
8- It was nice of Joan ......................... (send) us a card.

Complete the sentences.


1- I don’t mind ........................ (do) the washing up.
2- I really enjoy ......................(play) handball.
3- I’m looking forward to .........(go) on holiday.
4- My parents want ...................(eat) a piece of cake.
5- All people should ................(eat) an apple a day.
6- I would advise him ....................(join) a tennis club.

No comments:

Post a Comment